Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 2003 16:00:00 -0500
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@attbi.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GCC as a selling point for FreeBSD? (Not!)

Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
> I thought that he developed a whole lot of the Virtual Memory code.

Strange.  Are you thinking of Matt Dillon?  Though I see no
resemblance: he doesn't troll lists about the GPL and has in fact made
contributions to linux in the past.

> A little time at groups.google.com found thousands of Brett Glass
> hits but it left me suspecting that I was wrong.

At one time I thought Brett was at least honest in his GPL-hatred: a
net search showed how wrong I was.  See
  http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month101999/msg00072.html
and the related thread.

Briefly -- he wanted to use the code of lynx in a commercial project,
which he tried to portray as a charitable project to help blind users.
His idea of "charity" was that it was out of the question to do it
unless they could be financially remunerated or at least recover their
costs.  People pointed out that contributing his changes to the lynx
project could potentially benefit many more blind people, and also
directed him to other differently-licensed text-based browsers like
w3m; he didn't acknowledge these suggestions.  Unlike the freebsd-chat
crowd, the lynx people clearly weren't familiar with him to start
with; nevertheless they saw through his game quite quickly.

In a nutshell, this is a guy who will not contribute code, even to
such a "charitable" project as a web browser for the blind, unless
he's paid for it.  (When I asked, he confirmed this in a private email
to me a year or two ago, which left me revolted.)  The very last thing
he would ever do is contribute code for free to FreeBSD, even if he
were capable of doing so.

Brett's view of FreeBSD is a project to which he can dictate, from his
armchair, what policies they should follow.  It means no more to him
than that.

- Rahul