Date:      Thu, 02 Oct 2003 03:00:55 +0200
From:      Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.9 RC1 (i386) now available

Murray Stokely <murray@freebsd.org> writes:

> ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.9-RC1
> ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/4.9-RC1-i386-disc1.iso
>
> We are particularly interested in having people test this release
> candidate on a heavily loaded system, or on large memory machines, so
> that the stability of the PAE merge can be tested.

Well, I did an FTP install (rather than ISO) from ftp7.de.freebsd.org
and it went mostly smooth, two issues:

1. ports collection is claimed to not be found (what the heck...) but
   some INDEX file is available, so pkg_add works.

2. at some point in time, usually around "Remaking all devices", the
   machine throws a handful of segfaults and boom. I'm unsure whether
   this might be the hardware, it's an old Cyrix MII/233 (PR300) Super7
   CPU in a VIA MVP3 board (PCChips M577), 32 MB PC66 + 64 MB PC100 RAM
   (66 MHz FSB), nothing "server-class", but it seems to be fine even
   under load with SuSE Linux 8.1 or 8.2 (dual-boot).

--
Matthias Andree