Date:      Mon, 1 Nov 1999 17:39:55 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Spidey <beaupran@iro.umontreal.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Examining FBSD set[ug]ids and their use

On Sun, Oct 31, 1999 at 09:27:56PM -0500, Spidey wrote:
> # The suid bit is NOT necessary for any usage I could find...
> 	df gname=operator mode=2555

The suid bit is necessary for users to be able to inspect the amount
of disk space free on unmounted disks.

Personally, I don't think users should be allowed to see the amount of
disk space free on unmounted disks unless they are in group operator
themselves.

If I don't get any disagreement, I will remove this setuid bit.

> /set gname=tty
> # Allow users to dump on remote (see dump(1), the BUGS section)
> 	dump gname=tty
> 	rdump gname=tty
> 	restore gname=tty
> 	rrestore gname=tty

> # High scores management
> 			sol uname=games gname=games mode=6755

This looks like a bug in some port, actually.  We shouldn't normally
have anything that is setuid games, only setgid.

> # Allow users to read master.passwd
> 			xlock mode=4111

A separate system for verifying a user's own password would be
infinitely desirable.  I suggest something as simple as a small
executable that verify the password, and automatically touch a file so
it can't be called more than reasonable for interactive verification.

> # Allow users to regenerate the aliases database.
> # Why the hell should anyone else than the one that has modified the
> # database would want to rebuild it????
> 		newaliases

The alias files can be group writable.

> # Same as rsh and such.
> 			ssh1 mode=4711

Not quite.  ssh uses this to get at the local host key, and
authenticate that it is run with that key or the attacker has control
over the entire host (by using a privileged port as the source port).

Eivind.