Date:      Fri, 26 Dec 2014 18:18:04 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Do I want to switch to the new pkg(8) format?

On Fri, 26 Dec 2014 08:47:58 -0800, Chris Stankevitz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am familiar with the gentoo "portage" system but I am unfamiliar
> with the freebsd system.  I prefer to compile ports.

FreeBSD supports both installing from source or from
precompiled binary packages. Both are equivalent when
it comes to the result.

> While I am familiar with "make install", I do not know how to upgrade
> all the ports I previously installed (equivalent to gentoo's "emerge
> -Dauv world").  Section 5.5.3.1 of the handbook says that I should use
> portmaster.

That's the correct way to do it. The ports tree itself
does offer a "make update" command, but this will only
update the ports tree itself (using svn). To update the
installed applications, they would have to be installed
again ("make deinstall && make reinstall"). And portmaster
is a great tool to help in this process.

> When I install portmaster I get a friendly reminder:
>
> "If you want to switch to the new pkg(8) format, and have not already
> done so, there are some extra 1-time steps to take"
>
> Can you guys help me answer these questions:
>
> 1. Do I want to switch to the new pkg(8) format?

Yes, definitely. The older pkg_*-based format isn't
supported any longer in the future.

> 2. If yes, have I already done so?

Yes, because of:

> PS: I'm running 10.1-RELEASE-p3

Since FreeBSD 10.0, pkg (also called pkgng) already is
the default format for binary packages, as well as for
the system's means of keeping the package database. The
tools for maintaining ports (such as portmaster or
portupgrade) interact with the new pkg system without
problems.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany