Date:      Fri, 09 Jul 1999 11:40:45 +0800
From:      Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth <shocking@prth.pgs.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dirty pages & low memory hangs with mmap

I've been seeing an interesting problem when doing a make installworld on a
486 with 16MB of memory. Immediately after installing libc.so.3, it will hang.
DDB gives a backtrace to a mmap related call (sorry, the box is at home at the
memoment and this email was prompted by something on freebsd-current). It's
quite reproducible, but worked around by issuing a bunch of syncs every
second. Outside of that, the box runs fine (it's my ppp NAT gateway, runs
squid & nntpcached as well).

	Stephen
--
  The views expressed above are not those of PGS Tensor.

    "We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce
     the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know
     this is not true."            Robert Wilensky, University of California