Date:      Sat, 15 Sep 2018 20:46:45 +0200
From:      Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: keysym list for French chars

El día Saturday, September 15, 2018 a las 03:10:21PM -0000, Christian Weisgerber escribió:

> These are easy to find in /usr/local/include/X11/keysymdef.h.
>
> À à     Agrave          agrave

Thanks, Naddy. Based on this I hacked together the mappings below. Compared
with Spanish, the French is a bit more complex, because for example you
have to make of one physical key 'e' four different shapes è é ê ë:

> É é     Egrave          egrave
> È è     Eacute          eacute
> Ê ê     Ecircumflex     ecircumflex
> Ë ë     Ediaeresis      ediaeresis

Anyway, here is what I do (and comments ar welcome):

# Frensh tilded chars (use Mode_switch + char)
#
xmodmap -e "keycode 0x40 =  Mode_switch"
#
# key: a -> a A à À
xmodmap -e "keycode 38 =  a A agrave Agrave"
# key: s -> s S â Â
xmodmap -e "keycode 39 =  s S acircumflex Acircumflex"
# key: d -> d D æ Æ
xmodmap -e "keycode 40 =  d D ae AE"
# key: c -> c C ç Ç
xmodmap -e "keycode 54 =  c C ccedilla Ccedilla"
# key: e -> e E è È
xmodmap -e "keycode 26 =  e E egrave Egrave"
# key: r -> r R é É
xmodmap -e "keycode 27 =  r R eacute Eacute"
# key: t -> t T ê Ê
xmodmap -e "keycode 28 =  t T ecircumflex Ecircumflex"
# key: z -> z Z ë Ë
xmodmap -e "keycode 29 =  z Z ediaeresis Ediaeresis"
# key: i -> i I î Î
xmodmap -e "keycode 31 =  i I icircumflex Icircumflex"
# key: k -> k K ï Ï
xmodmap -e "keycode 45 =  k K idiaeresis Idiaeresis"
# key: o -> o O ô Ô
xmodmap -e "keycode 32 =  o O  ocircumflex Ocircumflex"
# key: l -> l L œ Œ
xmodmap -e "keycode 46 =  l L oe OE"
# key: u -> u U ù Ù
xmodmap -e "keycode 30 =  u U ugrave Ugrave"
# key: v -> v V û Û
xmodmap -e "keycode 55 =  v V ucircumflex Ucircumflex"
# key: y -> y Y ÿ Ÿ
xmodmap -e "keycode 52 =  y Y ydiaeresis Ydiaeresis"

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru@unixarea.de, ⌂ http://www.unixarea.de/  📱 +49-176-38902045
13. August 2018: Manchmal möchte ich nun einen AUSREISEANTRAG stellen.