Date:      Sat, 10 Sep 2005 18:22:56 -0400
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Unifying WWW: pkg-descr lines for cpan ports

An embarassingly long time ago, the maintainer of search.cpan.org
let me know that the port survey was hammering on it.  There were
3 primary styles of URL being used:

1. http://search.cpan.org/dist/Archive-Tar/
2. http://search.cpan.org/dist/Archive-Tar
3. http://search.cpan.org/search?dist=Archive-Tar

These all point to the same page, but #2 and #3 each requires a
redirect.  (At the time, #3 required 2 redirects because of a bug,
which was subsequently fixed.)

I'd like to unify all these styles into #1.  The shell script at
http://people.freebsd.org/~fenner/fix-search results in the diff
http://people.freebsd.org/~fenner/fix-search.cpan.org.diff .
Hopefully, there wouldn't be much (other than timing) to discuss
with respect to applying these diffs, since it will still be
the same page in the end.

However, after this diff there are still 73 search.cpan.org URLs
that aren't of this format.  Some point to the module documentation,
some point to the same page as the above URLs but via the author
path (e.g., http://search.cpan.org/~kane/Archive-Tar-1.26/ or
http://search.cpan.org/author/kane/Archive-Tar/ instead
of http://search.cpan.org/dist/Archive-Tar/), and some point just
to the author page (e.g., http://search.cpan.org/~kane/)
I propose to modify each of these to point to the .../dist/...
URL also.

The disadvantage of this second phase is that if the port is for an older
version of the module, that the WWW: URL will point to the most recent
version.  (The advantage is that you don't have to edit the pkg-plist when
you update the port to a new version).  Also, it'll change some ports
from pointing to the module documentation to pointing to the dist page
for the module - but I think that consistency across ports is useful.
The diffs involved here are:
http://people.freebsd.org/~fenner/fix-search.cpan.org-2.diff .

Any comments?

Thanks,