Date:      Sun, 28 Sep 2014 11:21:18 -0400
From:      Rob Rati <lists@midsummerdream.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Freebsd 9.3-RELEASE and Virtualbox

I've tried upgrading my 9.2-RELEASE system to 9.3-RELEASE a few times, =
but each time I had to revert because starting any Virtualbox VMs causes =
a kernel panic.  I found this thread about the issue:

=
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-emulation/2014-August/011767.h=
tml

What I don't understand is why it is expected that the repository kernel =
module wouldn't be in sync with the 9.3-RELEASE kernel. Is it because =
the packages are relevant to all 9.x releases and there's no way to have =
a kernel module work with them all?  If so, why bother having a kmod =
package at all?

On a related note, how difficult is it to build the kernel module?  I =
have never built it from source in the past and don't even have kernel =
sources installed.  I use stock kernels from the releases.  Are there =
ways this build can get screwed up if options/packages aren't correct?

Rob=