Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 1995 03:09:49 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@legarto.minn.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   GENERIC kernel & some basic UNIX pointers

Is the FreeBSD mentor project still alive?  I think I just
picked up my first student from one of the USENET groups,
so you might as well put my name on the list...:-)

Anyways, I've responded to several questions from various sources in the
past week about setting up PPP, and the problem that all of these people
were having was that they were running a new 2.0.5 kernel that didn't have
PPP configured because it was taken out so that the kernel would fit on the
boot floppy.  It has been these questions that prompted me to submit the
changes to the ppp.FAQ file to the freeebsd-doc mailing list that tell
people to check if PPP has been configured into the kernel they are
running before trying to get PPP working.

Since a lot of potential new FreeBSD users probably are using PPP/SLIP
through some type of ISP, the GENERIC configuration file should contain
PPP by default.  If we need a smaller kernel for the boot floppy, then
there should be a "BOOTFLP" configuration instead.  The installation
should start with the BOOTFLP kernel, but one of the loaded distributions
(bindist? or whatever) should provide a more fully configured kernel.
E.g. the GENERIC kernel.  This should be done for 2.1.

As I stated above, I've got a guy I've been trying to help for
the past couple of days, but he is VERY new to UNIX.  I pointed him to
the FAQ that told him how to rebuilt a kernel, and he was still
having problems because he doesn't really know about make/vi/everything
else we all take for granted.  At least he got the system installed
in the first place, which is a good sign.  Is there a "generic" UNIX FAQ
or book I could point him at?  If there is one, our own FAQs should
probably point to this, too.
--
Mike Pritchard
mpp@legarto.minn.net