Date:      Fri, 9 Jul 2004 09:55:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Root users shell == no existant shell /bin/bash

"Peter C. Lai" wrote:
> as a rule of thumb, you're probably superuser way too much if you
> develop an urge to change it shell anyway.

Where do people come up with these folk "rules"?  I spend all day
working in various root shells as part of my job.  Couldn't do it
otherwise.

> toor has a disabled (*) password by default. What Brannon should have done was
> set a password for toor in the beginning, without mucking around with root's
> shell.

In 8 years of BSD administration I've never seen the toor account
used.  IMO, as a matter of security, KIS, and for improved
cross-platform compatibility it should be removed from the distribution.

--
Roger Marquis
Roble Systems Consulting