Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 10:57:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ed DeHart <dehart@pageone.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WaveLAN almost working with PCI adapter

> : It was suggested that I remove some of the devices from the system. It
> : was making it hard to find a free irq and devices where sharing irqs which
> : is not very good.  I disabled the sio2 and the printer port.  I removed
> : the second ehternet card.  I built a kernel that only supported the
> : hardware I needed.
>
> Disabling the devices in the kernel isn't enough.  You must disable
> the hardware in the BIOS.  The conflicts aren't in the software, but
> rather they are at the hardware level.

I removed the BIOS support for everything that I did not need.  All ports
were disabled.  I removed all of the boards except the video and the PCI
adapter.  I still could not get it to work.

I replaced the PCI adapter with the ISA adapter and everything is working.

FYI:  I had a problem making the PCI adapter work in a Win98 box.  The
Microsoft driver seemed to work okay but the OS would not work with the
PC card.  I downloaded an update from Lucent.  The update contained both
a new driver for Win98 and a firmware upgrade for the PC card.  After I
installed the updates, everything worked okay.  I will try the PCI card
in a FreeBSD system with a PC using the new firmware.

	-Ed