Date:      Wed, 22 Feb 2006 20:38:44 -0700
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        shih@math.jussieu.fr
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMD64 or I386

Albert Shih wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I've very strange problem with my new servers with AMD single core dual
> proc with 4 Go Ram.
>
> When I boot the i386 version of FreeBSD 6.0 he see 4 Go but tell me he
> can't not access to 4go but only 3 Go. I upgrade to FreeBSD 6-Stable and nothing change.

I suspect that the number here's aren't accurate, and that what you
really mean is that you can acccess 3.5GB, not 3.0GB.

> When I boot the amd64 version of FreeBSD 6.0 he see 5 Go (!!) but tell me
> he can access only 4 go (well). When I upgrade to FreeBSD 6-Stable nothing
> change.

Again, I suspect that you mean 4.5GB, not 5.0GB.

> My problem is I need i386 version (because I'need maxima who need
> sbcl...and sbcl don't run on amd64).
>
> If I tell the kernel I've 4 Go the system don't boot (kernel panic).
>
> What can I do.
>
> Regards.

This is a FAQ, and I'm almost certain that it is listed in the FAQ
section of the website.  So, I'll skip repeating myself for the 100th
time on how it works.  But to answer your specific questions, you can
either enable PAE on i386, or use i386 binary compatibility under amd64.
Both will give you what you want.

Scott