Date:      Tue, 04 May 1999 19:05:49 -0500
From:      yacine <yacine@bellatlantic.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Q3 test

Geoff Buckingham wrote:

> In article <Pine.GSO.3.95q.990503053948.19300A-100000@rac1.wam.umd.edu>,
>         Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu> writes:
> > As we probably all know, Q3 test is out for Linux. I tested it on FreeBSD,
> > with great results. I just downloaded the correct glide libraries from the
> > site suggested by Carmac (Q3 programmer) and installed those, and then I
> > added the appropriate resoulutions to my configuration.
> >
> Does your sound work? I had problems with the $front driver havn't tried
> the other two yet.
>
> People wanting to run servers can do without glide libaries using the
> command line switch '+set dedicated 1' most of the other quake2 configuration
> options seem to work too.
>
> --
> GeoffB

I have problems with sound myself. I get an error message in the Q3A
console saying "your soundcard can't do this." I have a Crystal CS4237B
soundcard. Here is information from my dmesg:

Probing for PnP devices:
CSN 1 Vendor ID: CSCd937 [0x37d9630e] Serial 0xffffffff Comp ID: @@@0000
[0x00000000]
mss_attach <CS4237>1 at 0x530 irq 9 dma 1:3 flags 0x13
pcm1 (CS423x/Yamaha <CS4237> sn 0xffffffff) at 0x530-0x537 irq 9 drq 1
flags 0x13 on isa
Probing for devices on the ISA bus:
(...)
pcm0 not probed due to drq conflict with pcm1 at 1

The soundcard part of my kernel:
#Soundcard info
#Crystal 4237 B
controller      pnp0    # this is required for PnP support
device          pcm0    at isa? port ? tty irq 9 drq 1 vector pcmintr

Other than that, everything works fine. I get sound normally from other
programs, from cd playing software to mp3 decoders. The game runs
smoothly, but it's a tad annoying without sound :(
I apologize if the answer is obvious to some of you (as I am sure it
is), but I am rather new to FreeBSD (as if that wasn't obvious ;)

(I am using FreeBSD 3.0-RELEASE...)

Thank you,
Yacine Benzine (yacine@bellatlantic.net)