Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 1996 03:02:45 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some recent changes to GENERIC

> I don't appreciate your tone.

The feeling's mutual, Joe.  I think it's better if we don't
communicate directly anymore and, while I'll not do something as
churlish as killfile you, I'd prefer that you make that unnecessary by
simply not sending me any mail.

As to your contributions mouldering, all I can say is that I'm
genuinely sorry to hear that's been your experience.  Yes, whatever
problems I may have with you or your approach to feeding back on
problems, I don't like to see contributions ignored from anyone and,
in the case of your ppp extensions to getty, I actually thought it was
a pretty neat idea and one I'd like to see out there serving ISPs.  It
was not, however, in my area of the system at all and and I was thus
simply waiting for someone else more involved with ppp (or at least
getty) to review and/or commit them.

As to my being in or out of touch with the FreeBSD user base, all I
can really say is that I received *as many* replies from people saying
"yeah, kill sio2 and sio3 - they're waste in GENERIC!"  as I did from
people defending them, and before I even touched a line of that file I
talked to our Principle Architect on the phone and said "David, do you
think these should go?" and he said "They should go, they have no
place being there" (or words to that basic effect).  As far as I
remember, we did give David final say in matters like this and it was
hardly something I just decided to race off and do without telling
anyone.  What's more, far from being unresponsive to feedback or good
compromise as you suggest, we have evolved instead to a point where we
not only have sio2 and sio3 but psm0 also, using the config changes I
brought over from -current.

This all took, what, maybe 24 hours out of your life but you seem to
have found enough time during that period to make a total nuisance out
of yourself and alienate me so thoroughly that you might as well send
all future mails to /dev/null as send them to me.  Frankly, that seems
a rather foolish display of impatience and one entirely out of line
consider that not ME who's kept your commits out of the tree and I
don't deserve your impatience for that.

Finally, if your commits have been log-jamming up in a way that's NOT
consistent with the experience of many of the other contributors
who've come along since well after you did (and you're free to ask
some of our "young committers" for their experiences pre-commit
access) then perhaps your communications skills should be examined
since we clearly wouldn't have any new commits if we turned away
*everyone* as you claim you have been - what makes you so special?

					Jordan