Date:      Fri, 2 Feb 2018 09:30:22 -0800
From:      C Gray <frankfenderbender@council124.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   soundbar loading-output question

First, thanks esp. to Scott Bennett, Robroy Gregg, and Polytropon.
Indispensable friendliness in sharing their experiences, tips, and =
tricks, and suggestions.
Forgive me if I ask a bit more of you (and others) as this great =
opportunity of tapping your interest and aid just a bit more...

These "mix" success stories are useful news!=20
It is also great to hear of 'external' sound system experience.

In such a climate, I offer up a strange appearance, through =
re-connection luck, of my soundbar suddenly being recognized, although =
to what degree I am uncertain.
I hate to wait until runtime issues ask for camouflaged resolutions, so =
this before-the-problem research will surely help, and if it is not an =
imposition.

Initially, I discovered the lack of a sound system in my server (vs. =
serving out or streaming sound files to a client's sound system) because =
a FreeBSD base or port installer option I may have clicked in one of =
many DOS-like install checklists, kept giving me bootloader error:s =
w/r/t "mixer" and a "missing", unusable, and/or undiscovered sound =
device. Did I mention mistakenly appearing to be properly-attached? ;-)

Yesterday, I  swapped desktop locations of my FreeBSD monitor and my =
Macmini5,1 running MacOSX10.7 Lion -- the last [cr]Apple OS to =
supply/support X11, a 'security bust'-must required by their cohorts in =
the PRISM-NSA association, much as they've now removed NFS, BSD, and =
security-rich modules/modalities which guard against intrusion except by =
them and their BFFs). After the swap I've noticed lines that may or may =
not have been there before w/r/t its "Dell Stereo USB Monitor Soundbar =
AC511" attached like a lamprey to the the 'landscape' bottom-side of its =
90-degree-flippable, very code-reading "friendly", Dell 22 Monitor =
(model) P2217H. The FreeBSD system wants to use it, or is, but may be =
having issues, as a loose "eye" with pre-logged screen-scrolls was =
missed or altered by a re-seated connection.  Either way:

	ugen4.2: <Microchip Tech USB274> at usbus4 (disconnected)
	uhub5: at uhub2, port 6, addr 2 (disconnected)
	ugen4.3: <Dell AC511 USB Soundbar> at usbus4 (disconnected)
	uaudio0: at uhub5, port 3, addr 3 (disconnected)
	pcm0: detached
	uaudio0: detached
	uhub5: detached
	ugen4.2: <Microchip Tech USB2744> at usbus4
	uhub5 on uhub2
	uhub5: <Microchip Tech USB2744, class 9/0, rev 2.10/2.86, addr =
2> on usbus4
	uhub5: MTT enabled
	random: harvesting attach, 8 bytes (4 bits) from uhub5
	ugen4.3: <Dell Dell AC511 USB Soundbar> at usbus4
	uaudio0 on uhub5
	uaudio0: <Dell Dell AC511 USB Soundbar, class 0/0, rev =
1.10/1.10, addr 3> on usbus4
	uaudio0: Play: 48000Hz, 2 ch, 16-bit S-LE PCM format, 2x8ms =
buffer.
	uaudio0: Play: 44100Hz, 2 ch, 16-bit S-LE PCM format, 2x8ms =
buffer.
	uaudio0: Record: 48000Hz, 2 ch, 16-bit S-LE PCM format, 2x8ms =
buffer.
	uaudio0: Record: 44100Hz, 2 ch, 16-bit S-LE PCM format, 2x8ms =
buffer.
	uaudio0: No MIDI sequencer.=20
	pcm0: <USB audio> on uaudio0
	pcm0: Mixer "vol" -> "none": child=3D0x00000010
	pcm0: Mixer "pcm": parent=3D"vol"
	pcm0: Mixer "line":
	random: harvesting attach, 8 bytes (4 bits) from pcm0
	uaudio0: HID volume keys found.
	random: harvesting attach, 8 bytes (4 bits) from uaudio0

This readout came after I was already logged in as root, some time =
during the night when I and the screen were asleep.
Very odd, however, it has now discovered the soundbar, albeit to what =
extent I am quite unclear. ;-)
Whenever these brain-scratchers appear, I find it is best to go at it =
with documentation, advice, and a relaxed time-full approach, esp. since =
I cannot turn on a debugger-tracer or have a file and setting BOM for =
each port or even for the base.

At Analogy (a less-than-250 person EDA company bought up by Synopsis) we =
used to ship a release BOM that said exactly what a clean install would =
change (and how) in terms of settings or dynamic files, where it would =
add folders and files, and what those file sizes and types would be. We =
also gave a checker that would verify the install process so handheld =
tweaks could be made and installer issues reported. We did similar =
things at Network General and Tektronix with robust documentation and =
ways to change a generic install into the specific one your particular =
platform would need in order to run (usually most heavily changed in the =
I/O). So, I wonder what the process has been in terms of tools for that =
or attempts at that w/r/t FreeBSD. Often, "open" team software hits the =
wall w/r/t standards, documentation updating, process =
verification/improvement.... I imagine it spreads out into millions of =
hours of extra work by installers, much like the extra work required by =
so many to write the same work-arounds for bad Microsoft IE code which =
failed to follow standards like the rest of the browser community. Oh =
well, you work with what you have until you and others are determined to =
leap past a recurring issue with contributing yourselves. Maybe that =
will be on my 2019 list after I finish my GNU self-directed health =
analysis and simulation software. So, for now, does the above output =
indicate a standardized way of saying "this is all okay and will work" =
or is it like the famous "maybe gate" in board logic circuits? ;-)

Oh, if anyone can suggest a few books w/r/t to actual FreeBSD output by =
the base and port and upgrade processes, so I can decipher what "notes =
to the logger" which will "speak to me" as well, I am all eyes and ears, =
and hopefully, a learning brain....

best wishes,
chris (aka "frank" as in Zappa and "fenderbender" as in parking lots and =
guitars)
frankfenderbender@council124.org=