Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2000 22:42:27 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Tatsumi Hosokawa <hosokawa@itc.keio.ac.jp>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Working pcic polling mode patch (Re: Polling mode of pcic as default?)

In message <200001170922.BAA02947@mass.cdrom.com> Mike Smith writes:
: Definitely not.  The IRQ should be determined by examining the machine's
: actual resource configuration, with a manual override from the loader.
: Of all the possible sources of IRQ configuration information, the kernel
: configuration file is the most likely to be wrong.

Why is pcic different than every other device in the entire system?
If I want to change the IRQ for a sio line, I do it in userconfig, not
some whacked out kernel loader env variable.  Why should PCIC be
different?

Also, this rusian roulette of picking an IRQ is unwise.  It breaks too
many times.  You must hardwire the IRQ, or use polling.  Examining the
machine is too unreliable to work.

Warner