Date:      Sun, 06 Aug 2000 19:51:10 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0RELEASE and 3COM589EC

In message <200008070123.SAA04980@bubba.whistle.com> Archie Cobbs writes:
: Just curious..
:
: How far are we from having the IRQ selection process be totally
: automatic, i.e. no user input or intervention required? Doesn't
: the kernel know what IRQ's are in use or free? Or is there some
: BIOS related complication?

Generally speaking, you can't.  There are too many whacked out
configurations in the wild to be able to do it always.  However, it
wouldn't be too hard to do this.  It is waiting for an ioctl to be
written for the card device that asks "Can I use this?" so pccardd can
be hacked to cope.

The NEWCARD stuff should be better about this, btw.

Warner