Date:      Sat, 28 Mar 1998 18:16:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Bruce M. Walter" <walter@fortean.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   de driver and sshd

Hello, all.

Has anyone experienced problems with sshd on a box with a de (digital)
based NIC?  Specifically, the interface stops communicating for a
indeterminate period of time, usually on the order of several minutes.
Just as mysteriously as it starts, it stops and everything goes back to
normal.

I had experienced this under 2.2 and 2.2.1 and thought that 2.2.5 had
fixed it.  I had changed NIC's in that period though to a 3com, which was
apparently the real fix. Now I've started working with a 2.2.5 machine
with a Kingston PCI NIC and the problem has resurfaced.

Killing sshd makes the problem go away.  This has also happened on several
de based NIC's (Kingston, DEC and I believe an SMC Etherpower2).  There
doesn't have to be any ssh client activity, just running the server for
several hours apparently is enough (for me at least).

I realize this info is nebulous, but I want see if any others have
encountered this or if there are known issues before I dive into the
driver source (that tulip stuff looks pretty hairy).

- Bruce

|| Bruce M. Walter                    || 107 Timber Hollow Court #335 ||
|| Senior Network Consultant          || Chapel Hill, NC  27514       ||
|| Fortean Technologies, Inc.         || Tel: 919-967-4766            ||
|| Information Technology Consultants || Fax: 919-967-4395            ||