Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 2006 15:15:21 -0500
From:      James Riendeau <jtriende@wisc.edu>
To:        Grant Peel <gpeel@thenetnow.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Copying a disk.

It really depends on your setup, but you should be able to run
sysinstall to partition the disk (See: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/
handbook/install-steps.html )  Then, run something like:

mount /dev/ad4s1a /mnt
dump -L -0 -f- / | (cd /mnt; restore -r -v -f-)
mount /dev/ad4s1b /mnt/var
dump -L -0 -f- /var | (cd /mnt/var; restore -r -v -f-)
mount /dev/ad4s1c /mnt/usr
dump -L -0 -f- /usr | (cd /mnt/usr; restore -r -v -f-)
mount /dev/ad4s1d /mnt/home
dump -L -0 -f- /home | (cd /mnt/home; restore -r -v -f-)
mount /dev/ad4s1e /mnt/tmp
dump -L -0 -f- /tmp | (cd /mnt/tmp; restore -r -v -f-)

&c. until all the partitions are copied.  Note that the partition
names under /dev will be different from the above depending on how
you laid out the disk.  Look at your fstab file located under /etc/
fstab and the output of the df command.  That should give you a good
idea on how to layout the new disk.  You can make any of the
partitions larger than the original, but you should probably avoid
making them smaller unless your sure that your data will fit.

James Riendeau
MMI Computer Support Technician
1300 University Ave
Rm. 436, Dept. of MedMicro