Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 1996 13:21:08 -0700
From:      "John W. Rasins" <jrasins@interramp.com>
To:        Frank Seltzer <frankd@yoda.fdt.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Permission denied

At 04:37 PM 9/16/96 -0400, you wrote:
>I have just setup a small (2 machine) home network. I can ping from one
>machine to the other fine, but when I try to ftp or telnet from one to the
>other I get:
>
>	Unable to connect to remote host: Permission denied
>
>I have searched the mail archives and the handbook in vain for a solution.
>Can anyone help me out here?
>
>BTW, once I get this straightened out I plan to connect my wife's Win95
>machine to the net. Is there a doc somewhere that will lead me through
>this?
>
>Thanks,
>Frank

One response has already alluded to what I think is the solution.  If you
are trying to telnet in as root, initially the FreeBSD system is setup to
not allow this.  Best answer is to setup another user and telnet into the
box (or FTP) using the new i.d.  Or, you can change your access for telnet
and FTP and allow root access.  Your choice.

For Windows95, what will you want your wife to do?  Disk access via NFS?
Telnet or FTP?  It depends on what you want the Windows95 box to do, and for
that matter, the FreeBSD box, in the grand scheme of your household
computing center. :-)  Based on your answer, one of us could do a better job
of pointing you to the appropriate docs.

Let us know.

John