Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2001 06:00:22 -0500
From:      Robert Sexton <robert@kudra.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        hanspeter_roth@hotmail.com
Subject:   Re: IDE standby timeout (hdparm)

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 10:49:54AM +0100, Hanspeter Roth wrote:

> Hello,
>
> is it possible to finetune the standby timeout (spindown) of
> IDE-disks?
> -Hanspeter

As far as I know, the answer is still no.  But heres a patch (good
against -CURRENT and recent -STABLE that adds it.

To activate the patch, put the following in /boot/loader.conf:

hw.ata.suspend=180 # 180 seconds

I've found that a few things make a big difference in getting the
disk to spin down and stay that way.

/etc/syslog.conf -  needless logging

Its also good to look over /etc/crontab.    Theres stuff in there that
isn't so important.  newsyslog can run daily instead of hourly.  You
may want to disable 'at' altogether.

Lastly, consider turning in 'noatime' for all of your filesystems in
/etc/fstab.  I used to fiddle with the syncer parameters, but I found
that it didn't do as much good as eliminating a lot of the background
IO.  Since I made these changes, my machine routinely spins down the
disk, and it generally stays down when I'm not actively using the
machine.  For some reason, using ssh always seems to spin up the disk,
even when I connect to machine that I recently connected to.

--
Robert Sexton - robert@kudra.com, Cincinnati OH, USA
Put your Nose to the Grindstone!