Date:      Mon, 28 Jun 1999 20:27:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Donald Burr <dburr@pobox.com>
To:        Dick Griffin <dick@dgriffin.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: get data from crashed harddisk?????

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away (actually, it was on 29-Jun-99),
the great prophet Dick Griffin once wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> One of my friends just had a harddisk die.  She needs to get the data
> off
> of it.
>
> If you know of a service that will or can help, please drop me a note
> with the proper e-mail address or phone number.
>
> I'm not currently amember of the list so please respond directly to me.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Good luck.  Hard disk data recovery is indeed a black art, and it will
COST YOU UP THE WAZOO.

Now that you are forewarned, I do know of one company that does said
recovery.  They are OnTrack Systems (http://www.ontrack.com/).  (Yes,
these are the same people that make OnTrack Drive Manager, try not to hold
that against them :) ).  They do data recovery on various types of media
(hard drive, removable cartridge, etc.) and can handle UNIX variants as
well as Windoze.  You can either send the drive in to their repair center
or they can do an on-site recovery.  You can go to their web site for more
information, but they don't have any prices quoted on the web site (you
must explicitly request a price quote from them).  This unfortunately does
not bode well (i.e. it's gonna cost you).

There is also DriveSavers (http://www.drivesavers.com/).

Both OnTrack and Drivesavers ahve been highly recommended.  There are
other companies out there, though, to find them go to the following page
at Yahoo:

http://dir.yahoo.com/Business_and_Economy/Companies/Computers/Services/Data
_Recovery/

Hope this helps, and good luck.  My personal recommendation is that it
would be a LOT cheaper (in terms of both time and money) to just start
from scratch. :(

AND OF COURSE, IT IS ALWAYS BEST TO MAKE BACKUPS!!!!!!!!!!
---
Donald Burr <dburr@pobox.com>-Member The FreeBSD Project| PGP: Your
*NEW* WWW HomePage: http://more.at/dburr/ ICQ #16997506 | right to
Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.
Phone: (805) 957-9666    FAX: (800) 492-5954            | USE IT.