Date:      Mon, 6 Sep 1999 21:53:01 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        Ilia Chipitsine <ilia@cgilh.chel.su>, Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Powered by FreeBSD" logo at www.hotmail.com ?!

On Mon, Sep 06, 1999 at 10:56:21AM +0000, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, Ilia Chipitsine wrote:
> > my point of view is
> >
> > 1. asking Hotmail people to move to NT _is_ bad. It's not my business what
> > do they want to use, is it ?
> >
> > 2. putting that logo at www.hotmail.com will promote FreeBSD a bit.
> > anyway they have "Microsoft" there already.
>
> my point of view is:
>
> keep annoying them and raise a big stink and they WILL replace it
> with NT and put up some page trolling about the evils of Unix and
> how irritating open source fanatics are.

Whoah, hang on a second here.  Unless I'm missing something on some other
list, all Ilia has done is send a personal message to Hotmail asking them
if they'd put the "Powered By" logo on their page.

Ilia didn't claim to be speaking on behalf of FreeBSD Inc., or send hundreds
of messages demanding the same thing, or try and fill out every field in an
online questionaire with the word "FreeBSD", so what's the harm?

OK, so cc'ing it to advocacy is possibly not the best thing to have done,
but I don't see any evidence here of ill-intention on Ilia's part.

What I do see is someone who's so impressed with their OS that they've
taken the time to drop a short note to the (probably somewhat busy at
the moment :-) ) Hotmail admins.

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>