Date:      Sat, 20 Mar 1999 14:33:30 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        sos@freebsd.dk (Søren Schmidt)
Cc:        gibbs@plutotech.com, mike@smith.net.au, rnordier@nordier.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to add a new bootdevice to the new boot code ???

Søren Schmidt wrote:

> > >Because there's no way to work out a name either.
> >
> > If I explicitly say:
> >
> > 1:foobar(0,a)/kernel
> >
> > there certainly is a way to work out the name.  Perhaps in the autoboot
> > case you'll have to guess, but it would be nice if the current boot
> > mechanism allowed user intervention as a way to boot a kernel with an
> > unknown bdev.
>
> YES!! can we please have that ??

Until DEVFS is a reality, I think it makes sense to not break
compatibility with the existing boot interface.

What Justin suggests seems good, but why not postpone the big change
till the user has compelling reasons (like a working DEVFS) for
making it, and losing ability to (a) boot 2.x and 3.x kernels; (b)
use his existing bootblocks; and (c) use his existing netboot and
other external (fbsdboot.exe-like) programs?

For the short term, I'd suggest modifying the bootblocks to optionally
accept an arbitrary major# in place of a {"wd", "da", "ad", "fd", ...}
string

    1:42(0,a)/kernel

since that can easily be accommodated by the existing arguments
passed to the kernel.

While not an optimal solution, this does have the virtue of adding
the ability to boot from any device not specifically provided for,
and without requiring customization of the bootblocks (or any more
work on the kernel than is presently required to add a device
driver).

--
Robert Nordier