Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 1999 11:45:32 -0500
From:      Keith Stevenson <k.stevenson@louisville.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov
Subject:   Re: Out of file descriptors

On Fri, Mar 19, 1999 at 10:13:15AM -0600, Glenn Johnson wrote:
> I just cvsupped the stable source yesterday, 3-18-1999 at about 4:00 p.m.
> CST. After building the world and a kernel I get the following upon reboot
> (I am copying this from the screen of the machine that won't boot):
>
> ...snip some boot info...
>
> Waiting 2 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
> SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
> changing root device to da0s1a
> da0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 0 lun0
> da0: <QUANTUM FIREBALL SE4.3S PJ09> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 Device
> da0: 20.000MB/s transfers (20.000MKz, offset 15). Tagged Queueing Enabled
> da0: 4110MB (8418816 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 524C)
> .: Out of file descriptors
>
> I then get put into single user mode.

You need to sync up the system configuration files in /etc.  Specifically,
/etc/rc.conf has changed a LOT since 2.2.X.  In 3.1, /etc/defaults/rc.conf is
the master copy of the rc.conf file.  /etc/rc.conf only contains your machine
specific overrides from the defaults.  Having a complete rc.conf file in /etc
kills the boot.

I have to agree with Jordan that a source upgrade from 2.2.X to 3.1, while
possible, is not desirable.  I dragged out a test machine, installed 2.2.8 on
it, CVS's the 3.1 source, and ran the make upgrade.  I was then promptly bitten
by several problems including the "out of file descriptors" issue.  My advice
is to use the release CDs to do the upgrades.  Just make sure that you have a
known good backup of your system first.  (Of course the best way to move to
3.1 on a "critical" system is to install it on a new box and migrate that box
into production after a generous testing period.  That's how I'm doing it,
but not everyone has that luxury.)

Regards,
--Keith Stevenson--

--
Keith Stevenson
System Programmer - Data Center Services - University of Louisville