Date:      Fri, 02 Sep 2005 16:52:30 +0200
From:      Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@broadpark.no>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   MSI RS480M2-IL and bios upgrades

I'll note this here, in case it helps others.

I have a MSI mainboard, model RS480M2-IL 8aka MS-7093). I'm running
FreeBSD 5.4-stable amd64 on it. I'm also using a nVidia GeForce  6200 TC
(TurboCache) gfx card, because of troubles with the integrated Radeon
Xpress 200 gfx chipset (Xorg does't have working support yet).

The board was delivered with BIOS version 3.3, and I have been running
with it for a long time, even if it has some problems. A few days ago, I
checked the MSI web site, and found that the newest bios now was
version 3.8. Stupidly enough, I upgraded (in hope that it might cure
some of the problems this board has). I should have known better.
After the upgrade, Xorg would freeze on startup (or a few seconds
after). The machine still worked, I could ssh in and do a shutdown.

 After reading through a lot of messages on MSI forums, I found others
with the same problem, the suggested fix is to downgrade the bios to
version 3.5. I reflashed to version 3.5 of the bios, and now the machine
works again.

Information:
mainboard info:
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=639
BIOS link:
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios/bos/spt_bos_detail.php?UID=639&kind=1

FreeBSD version:
FreeBSD kg-quiet.kg4.no 5.4-STABLE FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE #5: Fri Sep  2
15:14:54 CEST 2005     root@kg-quiet.kg4.no:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/QUIET
amd64

Xorg version: xorg-server-6.8.99.12       =  up-to-date with port

Graphics card:
none3@pci1:0:0: class=0x030000 card=0x81ae1043 chip=0x016110de rev=0xa1
hdr=0x00    vendor   = 'NVIDIA Corporation'
    device   = 'GeForce 6200 TurboCache(TM)'
    class    = display
    subclass = VGA

---
Yours,