Date:      Mon, 17 Aug 1998 22:56:55 -0700
From:      Matt Wilbur <matt@efs.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cable Modems and FreeBSD Question

At 09:48 PM 8/17/98 -0700, Joey \"bear-\" Garcia wrote:
[snip]
>My questions are:
>
>1) According to Media One, I must have a TCP/IP stack that supports DHCP
>addressing.  Does FreeBSD support this, and would it be easy to set
>FreeBSD up with a cable modem?

Yep, I'm doing this now with roadrunner.  Its a pain in the ass having a
dynamic IP, but the dhcp part of it is pretty braindead and easy.
/usr/ports/net/wide-dhcp will do the job.

>2) What do you guys think about those cheap NE2000 compatible boards that
>you can get from the Computer Shows?  They any good?  I've looked at a few
>of those boards and I noticed that none of the boards I looked at had
>jumpers.  I've never set up a network card before, so I dont know what
>would be up with the IRQ's and stuff.  I'm just worried that I might get a
>PnP type NIC instead of a good ole' "set the jumpers" type NIC.  Any
>ideas?

I have a few jumperless ne2000s in my machines at home, they're certainly
more work to set up than a PCI net card, but still pretty straightforward.
Boot with a dos floppy, run their dos based config proggy, set up the
IRQ/addresses (I lean towards irq10 address 0x300), save it, then boot to
FreeBSD.  Set the kernel up with the IRQs you set with the software, and
you're done... (and stash the floppy in a safe place, as you'll need it
again)   If this sounds like a pain, I'd spend the extra $20 and get PCI,
they're much easier.

Matt

Matt Wilbur                       Support the Anti-Spam amendment
Photon Research Associates	    Join at http://www.cauce.org/