Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 03:16:59 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Steve Tremblett" <sjt@cisco.com>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Feeding the Troll (Was: freebsd as a desktop ?)

Steve writes:

> By that logic, since a wrench can pound nails
> as well as a hammer, then the hammer should be
> able to turn bolts as well, and therefore a
> wrench is a hammer.

Yes.  Of course, a wrench doesn't make a very good hammer in practice.

> All you have been saying here in recent weeks
> (repeated ad nauseum) is that Windows has a
> better desktop and FreeBSD is a better server.

Over the past few days, you mean.  It's surprising how many people seem eager or
even desperate to prove me wrong--I thought that it was generally acknowledge
that Windows makes a better desktop, and FreeBSD a better server.  I wonder if
I'd see the same irrational defense of FreeBSD if I suggested that it were a
less-than-ideal toaster or washing machine; I suspect I would, particularly if
the toaster or washing machine were made by Microsoft (a scary thought, it's
true!).

> Yes FreeBSD makes a better server, but contrary
> to your unpopular opinion, most think that FreeBSD
> makes a better desktop as well.

The objective validity of an opinion is not a function of its popularity.  And
while the opinion that FreeBSD is better for everythin does not surprise me
here, I think it would be best for advocacy of the OS to not exaggerate its
applicability to real-world situations.  Anyone who is misled into believing
that he can replace Windows with UNIX by a UNIX zealot is going to be very
discouraged by the reality, and might become permanently opposed to UNIX in any
role--not good if he ever has to make acquisition decisions.