Date:      Mon, 30 Mar 1998 12:37:33 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More on 2.2.6 upgrade

> > > There should be a bit of explaination if it is a feature because
> > > if I need to create sd1s1[a-h]:
> > >
> > > sh MAKEDEV sd1       doesn't work,
> > > sh MAKEDEV sd1s1     doesn't work, but
> > > sh MAKEDEV sd1s1a    does work.
> > >
> > > It is plausible that the first form not working is a feature, but
> > > I'm not convinced that the second form not working is a feature.
> >
> > Why not.  On my box 'sd1s1' is *NOT* a FreeBSD partition.
>
> I understand that partition entries may not be appropriate for
> all slices, but I still think the human interface is wrong.

I think 'wrong' is a bit strong.  Matter of fact, I think the human
interface is better this way.  See below.

> > Ok, but that doesn't make the second form any more intuitive.
>
> Sure it does.  There is a well established historical precedent
> of supplying MAKEDEV with the name and unit of a disk-like
> device, either physical or logical, to create partitions a-h
> logically contained within that device.  Maybe I'm just whacked,
> but a slice sure seems like a disk-like device to me.

But it's not.  The 'historical precedence' changed at FreeBSD 2.0, so
I'd say there's a long historical precedence for *NOT* behaving this
way. :)

> MAKEDEV sd1 creates sd1[a-h].  A well established behavior.

I would argue that it shouldn't now.  It should only create the
partitions if you give it:

MAKEDEV sd1a

> MAKEDEV sd1s1 creates sd1s1, but no partitons.  Hmm...

Because a slice is not a FreeBSD partition.  As a matter of fact, more
often than not it is NOT a FreeBSD partition.

> MAKEDEV sd1s1a creates sd1s1[a-h], but...
> MAKEDEV sd1a tells me I supplied a bad unit number!

I think this should be fixed as above.

> Now, where is the consistency in that?

It's inconsistant, not an error.

> Incidentally, if it is an error to generate sd1s1[a-h] for
> non-FreeBSD slices, is it not also an error to generate sd1[a-h]
> entries for a "non-dedicated" disk?

Who said anything about an error?  It doesn't make sense, but it's
ceratainly not an error.

Nate