Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 2000 23:02:35 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Gustavo V G C Rios <kernel@tdnet.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is traditional unixes kernel really stable ?

* Gustavo V G C Rios <kernel@tdnet.com.br> [000406 20:23] wrote:
> Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> >
> > * Gustavo V G C Rios <kernel@tdnet.com.br> [000406 19:12] wrote:
> > > Considering the current kernel design approach used by traditional
> > > system, what happens if a drive were wrongly coded ?
> > >
> > > Would the entiry system crash ?
> >
> > please define "wrongly coded".
>
> Definition: the driver tries to access a memory outside its memory
> space.

Some archs (such as i386) allow the OS to set page protections and
io permission bitmaps that effectively can pretect against problems
with drivers touching incorrect IO ranges, however...

> Worse yet: What about hardware buggy devices?
> This could case the entiry system to crash, isn't it ?

Yes, incorrectly programmed hardware either by firmware (on
chip/board) or by drivers can cause crashes and hardware damage.