Date:      Mon, 13 May 1996 21:25:22 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jmacd@CS.Berkeley.EDU (Josh MacDonald)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: version of makeinfo in -current

Josh MacDonald stands accused of saying:

> This seems to be a recurring thing for me to mail the lists, I'm
> using FreeBSD as a development machine, and every piece of GNU software
> I use I have to install from the current release, its kind of annoying.

Lots of us use FreeBSD as development systems.

Lots of us have large investments in code that works correctly with the
toolchain as it is.  Including the system itself.

If all we did was follow the often senseless faddism that seems to
permeate the GNU world, all our time would be spent fiddling with tools,
and no real work would ever be done.

(This is why people just ignore the endless "when will you be upgrading
to gcc 2.7.x" - there are bugs in 2.7.x that the FSF have said won't
be fixed until 2.8.0, and the work and stress involved would be substantial.)

Having said this, if the new version of makeinfo is backwards-compatible,
or at least the things that depend on it won't break (uucp, for example),
there's nobody that will complain at you for bringing it in!