Date:      Sat, 20 Aug 2005 19:28:42 +1000
From:      Johny Mattsson <lonewolf-freebsd@earthmagic.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   MNT_NOEXEC flag set on / when PXE booting diskless on 5.4-R?

Hi all,

I've just been trying to switch one of my FreeBSD work stations over to
PXE booting and running diskless (the system drive has died).

However, I've run into a problem in that it appears that the root mount
gets marked with MNT_NOEXEC for some reason, which causes ld-elf.so.1 to
barf with a message of:
Cannot execute objects on /

The error doesn't occur for all applications, and I've narrowed it down
to be that whenever LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set, then ld-elf.so.1 falls over
with the above message.

I saw in the archives that this issue was raised back in March, but
there was no followup there. Message ID for that email was
<20050331111625.GA13338@zoopee.org>; interested parties are recommended
to dig that one up.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? I couldn't find any PRs
(open or closed).

Thanks in advance,
/Johny
--
Johny Mattsson - Making IT work  ,-.   ,-.   ,-.  When all else fails,
http://www.earthmagic.org     _.'  `-'   `-'   Murphy's Law still works!