Date:      Sat, 13 Jul 2002 18:22:44 +0200
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@bsd.hu>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/40265: bootfloppies

On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 08:46:20AM -0700, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> If memory serves me right, Szilveszter Adam wrote:
>
> > This however does not alter the fact that boot.flp was wrongly named all
> > along, and there was only a README file to warn the user about this in
> > the appropriate ftp directory.
>
> Older versions of FreeBSD were actually small enough so that a kernel
> and the installer bits could actually fit on a single floppy image (a
> 1200K image too!).  That floppy image was called (surprise!) boot.flp.

Grrrr. That's what I call an inconsistent naming scheme. In this case,
when the single floppy was no longer enough, the old name should have
been retained for the first image from the set or should have vanished
altogether, and the "fake" image for the CDs should have been named
"cdboot.img" or somesuch so as to make it *blatantly obvious* that this
was not the image you want to download. (Although I wonder why it was
put among the other images on FTP at all, when its use is in the release
process anyway) But simply keeping an established name and changing its
meaning completely in this way was just plain wrong, imho.

> > Also, the README.TXT in the floppies directory of the FTP server seems
> > to contain an earlier version of the installation chapter of the
> > Handbook, but I may be wrong here.
>
> You're wrong here.  :-)  It contains the architecture-specific
> INSTALL.TXT file.

Yes, I recall now. Sorry for forgetting. But in any event, it seems to a
large extent duplicated information, without the useful images from the
Handbook chapter.

> What on Earth gave you that idea?
>
> See src/release/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/install/*

Again, sorry for forgetting and for spreading false information.

--
Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM
Szombathely Hungary