Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2007 11:37:45 -0400
From:      "Arend P. van der Veen" <apvanderveen@att.net>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Tomcat 5.5 Port

Hi,

I have installed Tomcat 5.5.23_1 on FreeBSD 6.2.  I have used Servlets a
lot in the past but have not used ant.  I am now trying to get this
development environment to work.  Following the basic portinstall of
Tomcat on FreeBSD I did the following:

1.  sudo cp /usr/local/tomcat5.5/server/lib/catalina-ant.jar
/usr/local/share/java/apache-ant/lib

2.  Made a sample project

3.  set manager url in build.xml
<property name="manager.url"   value="http://localhost:8180/manager"/>;

4.  Chnage permissions in tomcat

cd /usr/local/tomcat5.5]
sudo chown -R www webapps

Once this was done I was able to compile the project and install it using:

ant
ant install

I did notice that it created a new directory in webapps with the new
application.  So far so good.  If I try to install it again I get an
error stating that it is already installed.  Again, so far so good.

The problem that I have is if I make changes to the project and reload
the application using

ant reload

I get the following output:
reload:
    [reload] OK - Reloaded application at context path /hello

This looks ok.  However, when I run it, the changes to the project do
not show up.  If I look into the directory under webapps, the changes
have not been moved over.  I have to manually copy the contents from my
build to webapps under tomcat.

What I am doing wrong.  I am sure that it is someting simple but do not
seem to figure it out.

Thanks,
Arend