Date:      Wed, 1 May 1996 10:13:16 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        joel@quicklink.com (Joel Kelmenson)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple disks for news server?

>         >Joe Greco wrote:>
>         >Remember the golden news rule,
>         >MORE DRIVES TRANSLATES INTO MORE THROUGHPUT.
>         >You would rather have four 2GB Hawk
>         >drives than two 4GB Barracuda's.
>
> My question is, how do I span the news over multiple disks.

I am currently going over this very topic with a client who didn't
follow my advice 6 months ago  :-)

> I have seen some answers to this but it was a little to tech.
> for me to get a good understanding where to start.  If someone
> could shed some light on this I would once again be very grateful.
>
> Examples would also be helpful, if possible.

1) Read the INN FAQ.
2) Read the INN FAQ again.
3) Read the INN FAQ again and find all the references to disks, symlinks,
   and expire.  THERE ARE CHANGES YOU MUST MAKE TO SUPPORT DOING THIS.
   I do NOT have a list of changes, each time I set it up I read the FAQ.
4) Read the FAQ every few months too, it changes, and new useful tidbits
   appear from time to time.

I really DO mean for you to read the FAQ three times, in my experience
every half assed news installation I've ever seen was done by somebody
who thought that they could not afford the time and could just muddle
through it.  The FAQ is extremely informative.

Now, once you have read the FAQ and have set up your INN to support
cross-device symlinks in expire, etc., ...

I personally prefer to avoid mounting filesystems on hierarchies.  I see
lots of people who will take a 2GB disk and split it into multiple
partitions, one for rec, one for comp, one for soc, and then mount it on
three mount points.  This isn't really an effective use of space.  The way I
would do it:

# mkdir /news/.0
# chown news.news /news/.0; chmod 775 /news/.0
# mount /some/disk/dev /news/.0
# chown news.news /news/.0; chmod 775 /news/.0
# cd /news
# for i in rec comp soc; do
> mkdir .0/$i
> chown news.news .0/$i
> chmod 775 .0/$i
> ln -s .0/$i
> done

rec, comp, and soc now share a single partition.  They can easily be moved
too.

This of course assumes you're building a new spool.  If not, you will need
to mv the old "rec" "comp" and "soc" out of the way first, and you can use
dump/restore or tar to move them to the new disk, if you really want to.

I realize that this is very simplistic, but it's also very powerful and easy
to maintain.  I've done this for years, and done it at some damn big sites.

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968