Date:      Wed, 4 Dec 1996 21:50:22 -0500
From:      "Steve Sims" <SimsS@IBM.Net>
To:        "Robert Nordier" <rnordier@iafrica.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: HELP: IIJ-PPP demand-dial with dynamic IP on both ends

Well, that seems to be the kick I needed.

I took another look at the references you quoted and decided "what the heck."
 I tried adding bogus local and remote addresses in my ifaddr command, but
that didn't help a whole lot.  So I plugged the "add 0 0 <bogus remote>" line
back in and counted on ppp sorting out the whole routing mess.  Success!
Sweet success!!!

So (for the benefit of the mail archives, if no one reading this) I have in
my /etc/ppp.conf:
   demand-dial:
     set debug lcp
     set redial 3 10
     set phone 123-4567
     set login "TIMEOUT 5 login:-\\r-login: myname word: mumble"
     set ifaddr 1.2.3.4/0 5.6.7.8/0 255.255.255.0
     add 0 0 5.6.7.8

and in /etc/ppp.linkup, I've got
   demand-dial:
     delete all
     add 0 0 HISADDR

Strangely (or fortunately) the "delete all" line doesn't muck up the static
routes that I've so painfully crafted, but it does flush the bogus
"add 0 0 5.6.7.8" entry that the ppp.conf put in.

Woo-hoo!

...sjs...