Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 1999 12:30:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Kip Macy <kip@lyris.com>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, Joao Carlos <jcarlos@bahianet.com.br>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hitech@bahianet.com.br
Subject:   Re: Out of mbuf clusters

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Kip Macy wrote:

> Here is where your philosophy diverges from many others -- I and I believe
> many others think that a server operating system should at least be robust
> out of the box. Neither Linux nor Solaris is vulnerable to running out of
> mbufs as a result of malicious code. I don't think FreeBSD should be
> either.

Well there are other people who want to run FreeBSD in as little ram
as possible, and people who want to serve NFS the best they can...

And for all these situtations there exists the kernel config file and
kernel sources.  For reference there exists LINT and the mailing list
archives.

> This is in no way a rant against FreeBSD, but rather a rant against the
> attitude that one needs to know about OS internals to run a lightweight
> server. If all of core insisted that Joe User had to know about internals
> to use FreeBSD as a server, FreeBSD would be little more than a hobbyist
> OS, rather than what it is -- the best OS currently available.

He wasn't running a lightweight server, he was forkbombing and causing
extreme amounts of network load.

I'd be upset if FreeBSD couldn't out of the box serve a light amount
of connections to an ircd, but this isn't the case here.

-Alfred Perlstein - [bright@rush.net|alfred@freebsd.org]
Wintelcom systems administrator and programmer
   - http://www.wintelcom.net/ [bright@wintelcom.net]