Date:      Sat, 23 Jun 2012 12:56:59 +0200
From:      Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>, "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB system: FreeBSD 9-STABLE and 10-CURRENT do not recognize 64GB USB drive while Linux and Windows do

On Saturday 23 June 2012 11:52:53 Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On 21 June 2012 23:22, Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net> wrote:
> > usbconfig -d 7.6 add_quirk UQ_MSC_NO_INQUIRY
> >=20
> > Then re-plug it.
> >=20
> > I'm sorry to say a lot of USB flash sticks out there are broken and only
> > tested with the timing of MS Windows. Part of the problem is that it is
> > difficult to autodetect these issues, because once you trigger the non-
> > supported SCSI command, then the flash key stops working like you
> > experience.
> >=20
> > I would be more than glad to open up an office to certify USB devices f=
or
> > use with FreeBSD :-)
>=20
> Question - if that's the case, then why are we even doing that by default?
>=20

Hi,

Do you want a blacklist or do you want a whitelist? Please explain the pros=
=20
and cons.

I believe that those that program wrong shall be held responsible for that =
and=20
given a chance to clean up, and not the opposite way around. As a senior=20
programmer I can only testify that many people care equally little about wh=
at=20
their computer is made of and what they eat. We probably need a control bod=
y=20
to certify USB devices that is cheaper than USB.org, simply put.

I think it is a bad idea to cripple all USB SCSI devices because what looks=
=20
like the majority do not obey the rules of the specifications they are=20
supposed to support. Else we need to make a new USB SCSI class for devices=
=20
that are certified and one for devices that are not certified. Non-certifie=
d=20
devices can have a limited SCSI command set, which should be implemented in=
=20
the CAM layer like some kind of flag.

If we could join heads on the Linux guys on this, we might be able to do=20
something! Like having a pop-up every time a USB device fails certain tests.

=46rom the history we can predict what people will do when they do not know=
 what=20
they are doing. They will nail the guy doing it right and let the guy doing=
 it=20
wrong go free. And it seems like this happened before too ;-)

I have a personal FreeBSD-native USB test utilty that runs mass storage=20
devices through a series of tests. Most USB mass storage devices I've teste=
d=20
so far have obvious bugs, which either means their firmware can be hacked o=
r=20
made to crash.

Also worth noting, that many USB device are not certified at all. It might =
be=20
clever to look for the USB logo from USB.org next time you want to transfer=
 X=20
GB of personal data from location X to Y.

=2D-HPS