Date:      Wed, 20 May 2020 18:23:25 -0700
From:      Donald Wilde <dwilde1@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   incorrect installation

Hello, good Beasties -

It is my pleasure to be back! Please pardon my direct usage of -STABLE
instead of -questions, but I remember the deluge that -questions
brought to my in-box... ;-)

I am trying to re-establish a FreeBSD presence on my servers and I am
having problems installing it on my development laptop.

I'm using 12.1R, installed via the bootonly.iso DVD. This is a
hardwired Dell generic i3 laptop, which has successfully been running
Linux.

The installation -- whole disk, AUTO, GPT, all options selected --
downloads everything and appears to match all checksums and complete
successfully but when I reboot, it goes immediately into the PXE boot,
failing with no DHCP success. I've tried both Legacy and UEFI BIOS
mode and it refuses to recognize the hard drive and installation
either way.

I have tried both 11.3 and 12.1 releases, but have no joy. I have
reviewed the errata and I don't see anything describing this major a
problem. I didn't see anything in the booting sections of the
Handbook, either. I did see one entry in a DuckDuckGo search that said
I should use gpartd to associate my ada0 partition with boot0 but I
cannot find that listing again.

I thought I was using every automatic option possible, but I seem to
have missed something.

What am I missing? What can I try?

--
Don Wilde
* What is the Internet of Things but a system *