Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 21:06:11 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
To:        "R. Lahaye" <lahaye@users.sourceforge.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bt878 TV Card + fxtv freezes my PC

R. Lahaye:
 |Running fxtv as a regular user does nothing, but COMPLETELY freezing my PC.

Ouch.  Ok, first up, make sure you unmount any unnecessary file systems
before running any tests, and run 'sync' right before you try fxtv.

First, a few comments about your kernel config:

 |options BROOKTREE_SYSTEM_DEFAULT=BROOKTREE_NTSC

?  Consider removing that one.  Also, make sure these are there:

    options              SYSVSHM
    options              SYSVSEM
    options              SYSVMSG

    # XFree86 4.0 wants these
    options         SHMALL=1025
    options         SHMMAX="(SHMMAXPGS*PAGE_SIZE+1)"
    options         SHMMAXPGS=1025
    options         SHMMIN=2
    options         SHMMNI=256
    options         SHMSEG=128

 |device meteor0     # meteor - video capture driver, see meteor(4)

Consider removing this one also.  You don't need it for bktr.  Whether it
will cause problems if included with bktr I don't know.

After adjusting your kernel, this is the first thing I'd try:

     fxtv -disableDirectV

This forces fxtv to pass all video through the X server like a good X app
(no telling the TV card to dump images on the video card directly).  If
that works for a while, try it without the option.

Randall

--
Randall Hopper
aa8vb@nc.rr.com