Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 1995 21:30:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Brann <jbrann@panix.com>
To:        btarr@resnet.uoregon.edu (Bryan J. Tarr)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help with SCSI tape

Bryan J. Tarr wrote...

> Thank you in advance for any help that you can provide me.
>
> >  I have a Connor Tapestor 4Gig SCSI tape drive.  I just put
> 2.1.0-951104-SNAP on my Pent 120, with an Adeptec 2940 SCSI controller.  I
[... stuff deleted ]
> >I have used dd to write to the tape from /dev/zero and successfully written
> up to 200megs but it seems to fail when using tar and gzip compression.
> >
> Bryan J. Tarr
> Residence Network Assistant
> University of Oregon Housing

Not much help I'm afraid, but here goes - I have the same tape drive (2Gb
without compression) and SCSI card, my processor is a pentium 60.  Mine behaves
OK with tar - I can tar a 700Mb filesystem without difficulty - but I have
had problems with dump.  There's definitely something strange about the drive,
when I try to move past files on tape (using 'mt fsf 1') the drive winds
repeatedly and gradually locks up the SCSI bus - causing the system to hang
and requiring a reset to fix.

My (totally unjustified) opinion is that we have bought a lemon.

John.

--
Difficult conversations with great figures of history:
3. Winston Churchill: