Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 16:07:30 -0400
From:      root oh yeah <root@babel.serve.com>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: static route / interface question

On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 09:54:35PM -0700, Crist J. Clark wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 03:28:55PM -0400, root oh yeah wrote:
> > I'm trying to set up what I think should be straightforward, but
> > I can't seem to get it to work.
> >
> > I have two ethernet cards, one connected to local network & my
> > internet gateway.  I have another card connected to a seperate local
> > network (which a number of the same machines are connected to).
> > Each has its own ip.  I need to enter the proper route command to
> > be able to access a particular machine only on the second local network,
> > through the second interface (xl0).
>
> What exactly are you trying to do here? If the machine is on the local
> network of one of the NICs, there is no special routing to be added.
> I mean, once you do your ifconfig(8)s look at,
>
>   $ netstat -rn
>
> And the route would be in there.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear -- basically, there is only a single local *IP*
network but there are two overlapping *ethernet* networks (by which I mean
that most of the machines have two ethernet cards).  All requests
currently go out over my first interface card, but I need the request to the
local machine to go out over the other interface card as the machine is only
connected up to that ethernet network.

Does that make sense?

--j