Date:      Sun, 25 Jul 1999 20:38:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Frank Mayhar <frank@exit.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrading from 2.2.8 to 3.2-stable...

Apologies if this appears twice.  The first attempt didn't appear to work.

Well, I'm having problems upgrading a system from 2.2.8 to 3.2-stable.  I
checked the archives, and apparently others have run into this one as well.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find a fix for it.

The problem is when the upgrade procedure tries to build the elf version of
libmytinfo.  It generates an executable, mkcaplist, which it uses to
generate the caplist.c file.  This is an elf executable, which promptly
coredumps when the makefile tries to run it.

Now, I _know_ this library has been around for a while, and others have
successfully done a "make upgrade."  My question is:  What the hell am I
doing wrong?

I'm just doing a "make upgrade" on a clean /usr/obj.  It crashes when it gets
to libmytinfo.  That's it.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
--
Frank Mayhar frank@exit.com