Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 1999 09:22:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        veldy@visi.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, bde@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installworld over NFS doesn't seem to work

 * From: "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@visi.com>

 * That is what I originally tried, but it didn't work.  Eventually I got it by
 * doing the following:
 *
 * cd /usr/obj
 * mkdir mnt
 * cd mnt
 * ln -s /mnt/obj/usr/src src
 * cd /mnt/src
 * make -DNOAOUT installworld

Really?  I would think that will have the same effect
("/usr/obj/mnt/src" pointing to "/usr/obj/usr/src").

Oh well.  By the way, does anyone know if there is some way all this
can be normalized back so that a subdir foo/bar of /usr/src will be
built in /usr/obj/foo/bar regardless of where /usr/src actually points
to?  I know that the current behavior is good for allowing builds of
multiple source trees but that seems like penalizing the more common
case for the sake of a very minor case.

(Without looking at the code, my guess is that it's pretty hard
because it's using ${.CURDIR} all over the place, but anyway.)

Satoshi