Date:      Thu, 7 Nov 1996 01:26:31 +0800 (WST)
From:      Callum Haig <haig@cleo.murdoch.edu.au>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Subject:   Help with error message.

I posted this group some days ago explaining difficulties installing
FreeBSD on my (small) system: 4meg 386dx40.  What was holding me up was
not a serious matter and I have managed to get the OS installed so that
it boots from hard disk.

... Well almost.  It starts booting from hard disk and seems to be making
substantial headway, but then gets caught in an endless cycle of
'sleeps'.  I will recount the last few lines displayed during the boot:

configuring syscons:.
.
Local package startup:.
Wed Nov 6 22:08:20 1996
Nov 6 22:08:20 myname init: getty repeating too quickly on port
/dev/ttyv2, sleeping 30 secs
Nov 6 22:08:20 myname init: getty repeating too quickly on port
/dev/ttyv1, sleeping 30 secs
Nov 6 22:08:21 myname init: getty repeating too quickly on port
/dev/ttyv0, sleeping 30 secs
Nov 6 22:08:21 myname init: getty repeating too quickly on port
/dev/ttyv2, sleeping 30 secs

and so on.

Can anyone shed any light.  I realise I haven't provided much
information, but I wouldn't know quite what to provide.  Perhaps takers
can let me know what details I need to give.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
Cal.