Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2002 14:50:14 -0800
From:      Mike Makonnen <mtm@identd.net>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@tcoip.com.br>
Cc:        Gordon Tetlow <gordont@gnf.org>, current@freebsd.org, obrien@freebsd.org, Doug Barton <DougB@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RC NG, ntp and routed

--ew6BAiZeqk4r7MaW

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 03:01:24PM -0200, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
> On another note, I thought the patch a bit excessive. Here, I just added=
=20
> BEFORE: ntpd to routed. OTOH, it seems that patch did a bit more.

It's not excessive. It's the correct solution.=20
Your solution solves your specific problem but it's
not the right way to go about solving the problem. It's kind of hard to
explain, you have to work with it for a while to get the hang of it. For
some things it might be easier _and_ right to say this must come before
that. In this case; however,  ntpd requires that routing be available as a=
=20
prerequisite, but there's no real relationship that exists between
the two that necessitates routed having to know about ntpd. If we were
to follow your example to its logical conclusion the BEFORE line for
the routing daemons would have to include _every_ daemon that requires
network availability. I think in this case it would be more correct to
have the network daemons REQUIRE the routing daemons. Does that make
sense?

Cheers.
--=20
Mike Makonnen  | GPG-KEY: http://www.identd.net/~mtm/mtm.asc