Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 2002 11:21:38 -0300
From:      jonny@jonny.eng.br (Joao Carlos Mendes Luis)
To:        jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>
Cc:        Cejka Rudolf <cejkar@fit.vutbr.cz>, freebsd-hubs@FreeBSD.ORG, Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@imgsrc.co.jp>
Subject:   Re: Fw & Re: Small fix to articles/hubs

Somebody told me that jason andrade said:
> On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Cejka Rudolf wrote:
>
> > Just one mirror ftp without ftp[12]: ar bg cz fi no nz ro sg
> > Just one mirror ftp == ftp1: hk is lt
> > Just one mirror ftp == ftp1 == ftp2: ru
> > More mirrors with ftp1; ftp == ftp1: de gr jp tw
> > More mirrors with ftp1; ftp != ftp1: "" cn
> > More mirrors without ftp1; with ftp != ftp2: at au hu ie nl pl se si sk uk za
> > More mirrors without ftp1; with ftp == ftp2: es fr ua
> >
> > What to do? There are almost all possibilities :-) Just to change
> > formulation in articles/hubs, or make some cleanups in domains?
> > I would prefer domain cleanups in any way, but I do not know if
> > it is possible.
>
> my $0.02 is that ftp.XX is really ftp0 and ftp1.  and ftp2 onwards
> is a different machine.  in part because if we ever do hierarchies
> then we can say ftpX where X > 0 in ftpX.xx hierarchy, syncs from
> ftp0.  which might be considered to be a different interface to
> ftp1 (even if on the same machine), e.g ftp-master.xx == ftp0.xx

What do you think about this:

- ftp1.xx is the primary
- ftp[2-n].xx are the secondaries
- ftp.xx is a round robin to some of the others (faster ones, for
  example)

Probably sysinstall will have to change to note that to the users.

Goodies:

- If you know which server is best for you, go directly there.
- If you don't, do not send all user to a single server

Problems:

- Maybe cause problems if all mirrors are not sincronized

Option:

- Select the country and let sysinstall ping or traceroute to show the
  paths and rtt, and let user select the best for that instalation.

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@jonny.eng.br
  Networking Engineer			jcml@ieee.org