Date:      Sat, 13 May 2000 01:14:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        andrew@ugh.net.au
Cc:        Kris Kirby <kris@hiwaay.net>, David Miller <dmiller@search.sparks.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: serial console buglet

> On Thu, 11 May 2000, Mike Nowlin wrote:
>
> > Wyse 150 & Wyse 60 terminals, they have the annoying habit of not
> > rebooting if the serial console is turned off...  Turn the console on or
> > pull the serial cable, and the machine proceeds to boot.  (3-wire
>
> Could this be related to bin/3862? The null modem cable in question was 3
> wire and the FreeBSD box would only boot if the mac was switched on...

I'm guessing it might be a similar problem caused by the same set of
circumstances...  It seems there might be some problems with whatever
function in the kernel "waits for a break signal on a serial port to
finish".  Depending on the cheapness of the serial port in question
(TTL<->RS232 driver chips, in particular), which these days includes 99.9%
of all serial ports manufactured, the signals aren't terminated correctly
-- this can cause the +/- 12V signal to float around wildly....  The
kernel sees this floating value causing a false TRUE on the RX line, and
mistakes this for someone sitting on the keyboard.  Unfortunately, this
problem can be caused at either end of the cable - both sides must be
properly terminated.

At least, that's my guess....  I'll stop myself from getting into a
philosophical lecture about goof-proof circuit design.  :)

mike

"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, 'I drank
what?'" -- Chris Knight (Val Kilmer), Real Genius

Mike Nowlin, N8NVW       mike@argos.org       http://www.viewsnet.com