Date:      Tue, 22 Feb 2000 11:44:01 +0200
From:      Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
To:        Peter J Jones <p@dancris.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppp -auto -nat

On Mon, Feb 21, 2000 at 11:11:23PM -0700, Peter J Jones <p@dancris.com> wrote:

> I have a server running Samba, Apache and some other services.
> I would like to use it as a dial out gateway for the windows
> boxes. I have ppp configured and it will connect to the ISP.
> I can also run ppp -auto -nat and it will connect when one
> of the windows boxes tries to pull down a web page.
>
> The problem is when I try to login to one of the windows
> boxes and it talks to samba to check the password. The FreeBSD
> box running ppp would connect to the ISP. I added some dial
> filters and that stoped the dial out when trying to login
> via samba. But the login still does not work. The windows box
> will sit there until a timout. If I kill ppp then the windows
> box talks to samba and everything is ok.
>
> I thought that I needed to set up some in and out filters to
> allow all trafic to/from the FreeBSD box to pass but that does
> not fix it.
>
> What do I need to do to allow ppp to run in auto and nat mode,
> but still be able to talk to services that are on that host
> without ppp doing nat on them?

I think the samba does name lookup and connects for this purpose to your
ISP nameserver as indicated in your /etc/resolv.conf file. Check if you
have such setup. You have two choices, set up internal nameserver or put
the internal hosts into /etc/hosts file. Beware, I haven't tried myself
so YMMV.
--

Vallo Kallaste
vallo@matti.ee