Date:      Thu, 8 Jul 1999 23:56:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dirty pages & low memory hangs with mmap

Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth once wrote:

> I've been seeing an interesting problem when doing a make installworld
> on a 486 with 16MB  of memory. Immediately after installing libc.so.3,
> it will hang.

Happened  to me  here today  on  Pentium 90  with  64Mb of  RAM. It  was
installing  world (with  -j 3)  from nfs  mounted /usr/obj  and /usr/src
(mounted ro). It did not hang but rebooted (no backtraces, the kernel is
built with -fomit-frame-pointer).

I restarted the installworld and it  completed fine, I guess, it did not
have to reinstall libc.so.3 the  second time, because of ``install -C''.
This was not current  either -- going from a 2 weeks  old -stable to the
most recent -stable.

	-mi